A Professional Roof Inspection Can Provide You with Peace of Mind
Hurricanes, hail, harsh UV rays, and tropical storms can wreak havoc on your roof. Unfortunately, you may not realize the extent of the damage until major problems occur—and that can lead to costly roof repairs or even full roof replacement. If you’re a homeowner in Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Pompano Beach, or Plantation, FL you should plan to have regular roof inspections to check for weather damage that could compromise your roof’s structural integrity. Paul Bange Roofing is a trusted local roofing company that can provide comprehensive roof inspection reports detailing any weaknesses on your roof, including missing or pitted shingles, delamination of the roof membrane, and blistering. By spotting these problems right away, you can extend the life of your roof and reduce your overall maintenance costs.
How Often Should You Have a Roof Inspection?
Here at Paul Bange Roofing, we recommend having your roof inspected once per year as a minimum guideline. However, more frequent inspections may be necessary in the following situations:
- After a major storm
- Before putting your home on the market
- Before purchasing a new homeowner’s insurance policy
Ensure Your Roof’s Integrity with a Roof Inspection Report
You might think of a roof inspection like an annual doctor’s visit for your home—the purpose is to identify issues that may not yet present outward signs or symptoms but could cause major problems later on. In Florida, it’s especially important to schedule roof inspections because weather conditions swing from opposite extremes frequently. One week may bring three-digit temperatures and constant sunshine while the next could usher in a tropical storm with high winds and heavy rains. If your roof has a small leak or other weak point, a big storm could cause widespread flooding throughout your home. At that point, you’ll be looking at a full roof replacement along with numerous other home repairs.
Why Can’t You Perform a Roof Inspection Yourself?
Some homeowners assume that they can perform roof inspections on their own, but this is often a costly mistake. One reason is that most homeowners don’t know the telltale signs of damage to look for on the roof. In addition, walking around on your roof isn’t safe if you don’t know exactly where to step. You could cause damage to the roof’s structure or sustain injuries from a fall. It’s best to leave the inspecting to the professionals. However, you can take note of signs of possible damage by looking at your roof from the ground level with a pair of binoculars. From this vantage point, you may be able to spot loose granules, standing water, fallen tree branches, and other potential signs of damage.
What Happens During a Roof Inspection?
During a roof inspection, a professional roofer will gain access to your roof and thoroughly inspect the entire structure for damage. There are a few key problems that your roof inspector will look for. These include:
- Manufacturer defects causing rapid deterioration of the roof materials. For example, degranulation can break apart shingles prematurely, compromising the waterproof shield on your roof. Blistering and cupping are other indicators of defects wherein the shingles will lift away from the subroof. If these issues have occurred early in the life of your roof, repairs may be covered under your roof’s warranty.
- Weather damage, including impacts from fallen branches and other wind-driven debris. Items that have fallen onto your roof could puncture holes in the roof’s surface, causing problematic leaks. When foul weather is the culprit behind this type of damage, your homeowner’s insurance may cover the costs.
- UV degradation. Florida is known for numerous days of sunshine, but that can come at a cost to your home. UV rays are hard on roof shingles and other roofing materials. Due to UV exposure, the roof membrane may expand and contract beyond its limits, which will cause delamination—or separation of the membrane from the insulation underneath.
Contact Paul Bange Roofing for Roof Inspections
Schedule your free roof inspection with Paul Bange Roofing to gain peace of mind about the integrity of your home. Especially if you have a roof that’s more than 10 years old, you should not skip roof inspections as part of your routine home maintenance. Call us today for the friendly, knowledgeable service you need in Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding areas.